March 31, 2021
During an ongoing #LegendSeries with Monica Seles Maneet Chauhan shares her coveted Coconut Shrimp Curry recipe, complimented with Tomato Basmati Pilaf, Papadum
Coconut Shrimp Curry
- 2 lbs Shrimp (or alternate protein or vegetables)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ tsp
- ½ tsp cumin seeds black mustard seeds
- 2 whole dried kashmiri chilie
- 8 fresh curry leaves
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh gingerroot
- Table salt, to taste
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp sambar powder MTR
- 2 (14-ounce) can coconut milk (chako brand)Instructions:
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the mustard & cumin seeds, whole red chilie. As soon as they begin to sputter, add the curry leaves, onions, and ginger; sauté till the onions are golden brown.
- Reduce heat. Add the salt; red chili, turmeric, sambar masala; sauté for 1 minute. Add the coconut milk and simmer for a few minutes.
- Add seasonal shrimp and cook
Tomato Basmati Pilaf
- 1½ cups basmati rice, washed until water runs clear
- 2 medium small tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon thoroughly minced ginger
- ½ small onion very finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon panch puran seeds
- tsp garam masala
- ¼ cup combined cilantro and mint combined, slice finely
- tablespoons butter
- veg oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil. Add the panch puran spice, and cook until aromatic and they start to crackle and pop.
- Add the onions, ginger, and garlic to the pan and sauté until soft. Add garam masala and stir in until fragrant. Add the tomatoes.
- Add the rice and stir to coat. Cook until aromatic and crackling a little, and then add 3 cups water. Add the cilantro and mint.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to its lowest. Cook 15 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat, stir to combine all the ingredients, and place a clean towel tightly under the lid, and replace the lid to steam for 15 minutes. Serve hot.
Heat oil in a shallow pan and fry papadum in it.