November 13, 2020
Chef Richard Blais cooks up delicious roasted turkey breasts, potato puree with miso mustard gravy, and dark chocolate cupcakes to make this Thanksgiving for this exclusive event with Citi.
Roasted Turkey Breast with Miso Mustard Gravy
Vegetarian Option: Eggplant with miso mustard gravy (1 whole eggplant, does not need to be marinated)
Marinade (Brine) Ingredients:
- 2 large skin on turkey breasts (3-4 lbs)
- 2 gallons water
- 2 cups kosher salt plus more to finish
- 2 tbsp dried parsley
- 2 tbsp dried sage
- 2 tbsp dried rosemary
- Mix water, salt and poultry spices in a large container, store turkey in brine overnight.
- The next day, remove turkey from the brine, rinse and pat dry.
Marinated Turkey Breasts Ingredients (or uncooked whole eggplant for veg option):
- 3 tbsp clarified butter or ghee
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup fresh sage
- 1 cup fresh rosemary
- 3 tbsp butter
- Juice of 1 lemon
Turkey Breast Directions:
- On your stove top heat a cast iron skillet over high heat. Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Add clarified butter and turkey breasts, skin down (or eggplant). Sear until skin is golden and crispy, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer pan to oven for 45-60 minutes, or until internal temperature reads 165 F. Remove from oven. (skip this step if you are cooking eggplant)
- Into the hot skillet, add chopped garlic, sage, rosemary, and butter. Stir until butter is melted and use to baste the turkey breasts (or eggplant).
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice, then remove from pan and rest before slicing.
- Finish with salt after slicing, and serve. Reserve any residual drippings for gravy.
Potato Puree with Miso Mustard Gravy
Potato Puree Ingredients:
- 4 -5 Large yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into even sized chunks
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- Freshly ground black pepper
Potato Puree Directions:
- Place potatoes in a large pot with just enough water to cover.
- Add 1 tablespoon of salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork, 12-15 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, in a small saucepan warm together the cream and milk over low heat. Add the butter.
- Drain potatoes through a colander and let sit, 30 seconds to let moisture evaporate.
- Pass the potatoes through a food mill back into the empty pot. If you don’t have a food mill you can mash with a potato masher, or whip in a stand mixer.
- Stir in the cream, butter and remaining spices.
Miso-Mustard Gravy Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon butter (or fat drippings)
- 1 ½ cup chicken or turkey broth
- 1 cup yellow miso
- 1 cup yellow mustard
Miso Mustard Gravy Directions:
- Whisk together flour and butter in a skillet over low heat until a thick paste forms.
- Whisk in broth, increase heat and bring to a simmer.
- Let simmer on low for 5 minutes, whisking often to prevent the bottom from burning.
- Fold in miso and mustard. Thin as needed with broth and serve.
Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with Luxardo Cherries
And Whipped Crème Fraiche
Yield: 6-8 cupcakes
- Nonstick spray, as needed
- ¾ cup butter, room temp
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup cold brew coffee
- 12 ea luxardo cherries in juice
- 12 ea chocolate covered cherries
Whipped Crème Fraiche Ingredients:
- 4 tbsp butter, softened
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 ¾ cups confectioners’ sugar
- Fill bottoms of cupcake pans with cupcake liners. In a medium bowl, mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. In a large mixing bowl (or Kitchenaid stand mixer) beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Gradually add sugar, ¼ a cup at a time, beating on medium and scraping the sides of the bowl as you go, until well combined.
- Cream butter and sugar together for two minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time while the mixer runs on slow.
- Add vanilla to the mix and continue to mix for 30 seconds.
- Mix milk with cold brew.
- Add dry ingredients and milk mixture to batter, beating on low speed after each addition until combined.
- Spread half of the batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Place one chocolate covered cherry in the center of each cupcake.
- Fill in remaining batter to cover cherries completely.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes.
- While cupcakes are baking, make whipped crème fraiche
Whipped Crème Fraiche Directions:
- Mix together the softened butter, sour cream, vanilla, and salt.
- Stir in confectioners’ sugar and beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Fill up a piping or pastry decorating bag fitted with a decorative tip (star shaped or round are most popular)
- Cool cupcakes on wire racks for at least 10 minutes.
- When cooled completely, frost cupcakes with sour cream frosting.
- Finish with a luxardo cherry on top.